Jeff is taking us on a tour of various products and services. I've included the list and an interesting point or two from each section.
When reading the stats, keep in mind that this is the 2013 shareholder letter, released in early 2014.
- More than 1 MM customers joined in the first week of December
- More than 20 MM elgible products
Readers & Authors
- FAA allowed electronic devices to be used during takeoff and landing. Amazon's Public Policy Team worked four years on this, including loading a test plane with 150 active Kindles.
Prime Instant Video
- Now over 40k titles
- New product for streaming
Amazon Game Studios
- I think the real headline here is that Amazon makes games.
Amazon App Store
- In almost 200 countries with 200k apps and games
Spoken Word Audio
- Customers downloaded close to 600 MM listening hours
- A big hit was Jake Gyllenhaal reading The Great Gatsby
- A $299/year fee gets you same-day and early mornign delivery on grocery items and over 500k other items from toys to electronics
- Expanded to LA and San Francisco
Amazon Web Services
- 10 regions around the world including GovCloud
- More than 40 price reductions in 8 years
- Career Choice covers 95% of the tutiuion for elgible employees for in-demand skills, regardless of relevance to Amazon.
- Pay to Quit: Amazon offers employees money to quit. If Amazon isn't the place for an employee, they want the employee to go somewhere that is for them.
- Virtual Contact Center: Customer service employees for Kindle and Amazon work from home in 10 states and counting.
- More than 1900 veterans hired
- Programs in place to help veterans transition into civilian work
- 96 fulfillment centers
- On 7th generation of fufillment center design
- Fulfillment center tours are open to the public
- Added 420k sq. ft. of office space in Seattle
- Broke ground on new four-block section of buildings
- Investing in dedicated bike lanes
- Sunday delivery via USPS in select cities
- Amazon-created last mile delivery in the UK
- Amazon bike couriers in India and China
Experiments and More Experiments
- 1976 tests for changes/enhancements to websites and products
Apparael and Shoes
- 40k sq. ft. studio in Brooklyn to shoot fashion for the site
- Shot an average of 10,413 photos a day in the 28 bays of this studio
- Grown to over 200k products with over 2k manufactures
- Eliminated 33 MM lbs of excess packaging
Fulfillment by Amazon
- Seller count grew by 65%
Login and Pay with Amazon
- Expanded the capability for customers to integrate into their own site to allow to pay with Amazon account
- Launched! Donate to your favorite charaties just by shopping.
- Editor's Note: Go set this up! I would recommend RAINN or App Camp for Girls
The Mayday Button
- A button to request immediate help on your Amazon device
- Tech advisors have received 35 marriage propsals
- 109 maydays have been for help ordering a pizza
- 44 instances where the advisor sang Happy Birthday to the customer
- 3 customers asked for a bedtime story